Holland America Princess Alaska-Yukon (HAP) is dedicated to preserving the environment and improving the communities where we operate. Our sustainability program, Sustain Alaska and the Yukon (SAY), is the foundation of all our goals and decisions. We believe in not just talking about sustainability but taking action.
How You Can Make a Sustainable Difference
When it comes to sustainability, every action makes a difference. To be a part of reaching our sustainability goals, here are a few tips to minimize trash and waste while working in Alaska and the Yukon this summer:
- Bring a reusable water bottle to refill at one of our many water refill stations
- Bring or buy a reusable bag to use for shopping and carrying supplies
- Bring your own coffee mug to your favorite coffee shop – HAP espresso shops offer free drip coffee to employees with their own mug!
- Refuse to use the big four single-use plastics: bottles, cups, bags, and straws
- Choose groceries and toiletries with minimal packaging and recycle after use
- Opt for paperless tickets, receipts, and paychecks
- Turn lights, fans, TVs, etc. off when not in use
- Recycle aluminum cans, plastics #1 & #2, cardboard, paper, and plastic film depending on what’s available at your working location’s community
- In some of our remote working sites, recycling services are very limited, so practice Leave No Trace ethics – if you pack it in, pack it out.